Libraries Connected logo




Rights and citizenship

You might be interested in the following rights and citizenship information

Older Citizens Advocacy York

OCAY help people over the age of 50 by: Providing a free and independent advocacy service and ensuring you have a voice in the issues that concern you. 

York Centre for Applied Human Rights

Through networking organisations and individuals passionate about respecting rights in York, we seek to create a culture of rights amongst citizens, businesses and York City Council, making York the UK’s first Human Rights City.

York Citizen's Advice

If you are looking for free, independent, confidential and impartial advice on your rights York’s Citizen’s Advice can help.

York Law School Free Clinic

This free law clinic offers a confidential and professional service. Student advisors, who are studying law at the University, will interview you and find out what your concerns are. They will look into your case and after consulting with professional lawyers will advise you of your position and what you may be able to do.

Young Persons's Survival Guide to York

The Young People’s Survival Guide to York is a little book full of things you might need to know or make decisions about. It also has places you might need to contact for help or advice.

Information last updated 19 July 2018

National information

Citizens Advice

Check the Consumer section for advice on buying on the Internet, returning goods, rogue traders, choosing and comparing energy suppliers etc.

Law Society - find a solicitor

Search the database of registered solicitors, and find further guidance about paying for legal services, specialist solicitors, lawyers for businesses etc.

Legal aid

Find out about Legal Aid, eligibility criteria and how to claim it.

UK legislation

Search the official portal to the full text of all legislation from 1988 to the present day.


Register to vote or apply for vote by proxy.

Which? Consumer rights

Find sample letters, step-by-step guides to how to place a complaint and guidance on relevant legislation.

Write to them

Get help in identifying and writing a message to your local councillor, MP or MEPs.