Libraries Connected logo





You might be interested in the following benefits information

Ask Us Wirral

Four local voluntary agencies have come together to deliver a new Information and Advice Service for Wirral. Funded by Wirral Council and Wirral Clinical Commissioning group, the new service ‘Ask Us Wirral’ is being delivered in partnership by Citizens Advice Wirral, Age UK Wirral, Wirral Change and Wirral Mencap. We offer wide ranging help across subjects that include the management of debt, problems with housing and rent, relationship issues and consumer rights. We provide advice in a range of different ways - • Through information available to you online • By help over the phone • In pre-booked face to face appointments with our trained advisers

Housing Options

Wirral Council can provide you with advice and information on a range of options to help stop you becoming homeless. In the event that you have become homeless, we may be able to help you find a home. If you are classed as having a ‘priority need’, Wirral Council has a duty to you under housing law. These include: • if you have dependent children • if you or a member of your family is pregnant • 16/17 year olds who are not looked after by Social Services • 18-20 year olds who have been in care between 16 and 18 A person may also have a priority need due to: • old age • physical or mental disability • being a victim of harassment or violence • having being in the armed forces • having lived in an institution • being over 21 and having been in care Our officers will assess your details to confirm that your circumstances qualify you as being in priority need.

Involve Northwest

At Involve Northwest, we have an established independent advice team, who can provide free advice on a wide range of issues, including welfare benefits, tax credits, help with fuel bills, housing issues and assistance with completing application forms. Our advisors hold drop-in sessions across the Wirral, as well as arranged appointments at Royal Standard House in Rock Ferry. For more information on our services, or to find out where you can see an advisor, please call us on 0151 644 1100 or on our Freephone number 0300 330 0011. Address: 225 Church Road, Tranmere, Wirral, CH42 0LD Phone: 0151 6441100, free phone Advice Line - 0300 330 0011 or for out of hours emergency, call 07580 314870 Email: Website:

Magenta Living

Magenta Living can provide you with specialist welfare benefit advice. We want to help you maximise your income and benefit entitlement, and ensure you are in a good position to pay your rent, charges and bills.

Wirral Advisory Centre

Wirral Advisory Centre provides a range of support services for our community from all parts of Wirral and even beyond. If you are facing difficulties we can provide advice and representation for you in a wide range of fields. We provide support for all sections of the local community including older people, young people, people with disabilities, unemployed people and workers who are facing difficulties. We have a number of advisors who will be happy to help you with your enquiry/ problem. It is preferable to make an appointment but we will provide advice to people who call in whenever possible. To make an appointment please call 0151 666 1999 or drop in at 22-26 St Anne Street. Our receptionist will be happy to book an appointment for you. The centre is open from 9.30 am to 4 pm from Monday to Friday except holiday periods such as between Christmas and New Year. You can also contact us by email at or write to us at 22-26 St Anne Street, Birkenhead, Wirral CH41 3JU

Wirral Council - Local Welfare Assistance

The Local Welfare Assistance (LWA) Scheme provides a safety net to Wirral residents in the case of a disaster or emergency. It is there to meet one-off needs and not ongoing expenses, and therefore only one award will be made in any two year period. Who can get Local Welfare Assistance? Awards will only be made where there is no alternative means of meeting the need. This includes help and support from friends and family. Applicants who are eligible for a hardship award, short term advance or budgeting loan or advance will not be eligible. An award may be made for the following: • to meet a need which, if not met, would put at risk the health or wellbeing of you or any of your dependants • to enable those leaving a care home, prison, hospital or similar e.g. a women’s refuge, to become established in the community If you are leaving care you will need to provide evidence of the need for any items requested. Assistance will not be available until the applicant has found somewhere to live.

Wirral Council Welfare Rights

Wirral’s Welfare Rights team offers free, impartial, advice on all benefit and tax credit problems. We can provide representation at appeal tribunals. How can I get in touch? • contact us online • email: • call: 0151 666 4570 lines open 9:30am-12:30am: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday • fax: 0151 666 4226 • minicom: 0151 666 4571 • in person by appointment only Write to us: Wirral Welfare Rights Unit Conway Building Conway Street Birkenhead CH41 6LA

Information last updated 13 June 2017

National information


Your local guide to help with benefits, work, money, housing problems and more. Enter your postcode and a topic to find helpful information.

Benefits checker

If you need a review of your or a family member’s eligibility for benefits you can use an online benefit calculator. These are free to use and anonymous.

Carers and Disability benefits

In this section of the GOV.UK site you will find information on eligibility, rates and claiming for those with a disability. If you are a carer you will find details of benefits available to you.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice provides fact sheets, answers to questions and information on benefits and tax credits for all ages. Included on this site is information for people coming from abroad.

Claiming benefits

Find information on your entitlement to benefits. Find details of benefits for carers, jobseekers, families, those with a disability, help with housing and tax credits.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for people who are on low incomes or out of work. Find out about the benefit and how to claim.