Libraries Connected logo




Rights and citizenship

You might be interested in the following rights and citizenship information

Advice Southampton

Advice Southampton is designed to be the place to come if you need to know where to find advice in the city. We offer clear guidance on a range of needs and guide you to the organisation which can best help you.

Southampton Citizens Advice Bureau

We aim to provide the advice people need for the problems they face and improve the policies and practices that affect people’s lives. All clients seeking advice in person must go to the CAB service at Southampton Central Library on the lower ground floor to meet with a Gateway Assessor. A Gateway Assessment will typically last 20 minutes and acts as a first assessment for all issues. This service is available from Monday to Friday from 10:00am- 2:00pm and is operated on a first come, first serve basis so it is advisable to attend at 10am if possible. Information Assistants can help you quickly locate the correct information if you wish to research your issue using CAB online resources and leaflets. Two dedicated PCs are available for CAB clients to look up information. This service is available from Monday- Friday from 10am-4pm and is on a first come first serve basis.

Information last updated 05 November 2015

National information

Citizens Advice

Check the Consumer section for advice on buying on the Internet, returning goods, rogue traders, choosing and comparing energy suppliers etc.

Law Society - find a solicitor

Search the database of registered solicitors, and find further guidance about paying for legal services, specialist solicitors, lawyers for businesses etc.

Legal aid

Find out about Legal Aid, eligibility criteria and how to claim it.

UK legislation

Search the official portal to the full text of all legislation from 1988┬áto the┬ápresent day.


Register to vote or apply for vote by proxy.

Which? Consumer rights

Find sample letters, step-by-step guides to how to place a complaint and guidance on relevant legislation.

Write to them

Get help in identifying and writing a message to your local councillor, MP or MEPs.