Libraries Connected logo




Rights and citizenship

You might be interested in the following rights and citizenship information

Brent Advice Matters - Immigration

What you can find help with here On these pages we tell you about some of your rights to be in the UK and how to use your rights to sort out some common problems. Knowing your rights means you can take action to help sort out problems yourself. But immigration law is complicated and changes over time. Get advice if you do not find what you need here. What happens if I break immigration rules? Many immigration and asylum problems happen because people do not know they have broken an immigration rule. You need to know what might happen if you break immigration rules. 1.If you do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain or Discretionary Leave to Remain in the UK you do not have Government permission to be in the UK. 2.If you do not have permission to be in the UK right now you are an ‘over-stayer’. Over-staying breaks immigration rules and is a criminal offence. You are at risk of being arrested and deported. 3.If you are arrested as an over-stayer you might not get legal aid to help you. You might have to pay a solicitor to help you. 4.If you have a sentence from a UK court of 12 months or more, or if you have 2 or more sentences from a UK court you are automatically at risk of being deported.

Nationality and citizenship

Information about applying for British citizenship, citizenship ceremonies and settlement through marriage

Information last updated 10 October 2016

National information

Citizens Advice

Check the Consumer section for advice on buying on the Internet, returning goods, rogue traders, choosing and comparing energy suppliers etc.

Law Society - find a solicitor

Search the database of registered solicitors, and find further guidance about paying for legal services, specialist solicitors, lawyers for businesses etc.

Legal aid

Find out about Legal Aid, eligibility criteria and how to claim it.

UK legislation

Search the official portal to the full text of all legislation from 1988 to the present day.


Register to vote or apply for vote by proxy.

Which? Consumer rights

Find sample letters, step-by-step guides to how to place a complaint and guidance on relevant legislation.

Write to them

Get help in identifying and writing a message to your local councillor, MP or MEPs.